Casa da Suiça
Telephone (21) 2240 1283
In the middle of a peaceful square on the edge of Centro and just in front of Glória Marina stands this perfectly serene sculpture in honour of the Brazilians who died fighting during the second world war in Italy. Only completed in 1960, shortly afterwards the bodies of 462 soldiers were exhumed from their European burial site and brought to the mausoleum thanks to Marechal João Baptista Mascarenhas de Moraes. A museum dedicated to the war effort is also found inside, and the soldiers standing on guard every day help maintain a solemn air of respect.