Telephone (21) 2295 0496
Metrô integrated bus
Sitting serenely in the shady Urca neighbourhood is the Igreja Nossa Senhora do Brasil, a fine example of neo-colonial architecture built in 1929 and the first church in Brazil to be dedicated to Nossa Senhora do Brasil. Officially inaugurated in 1934, it became the headquarters of the parish of Urca and Praia Vermelha in 1936. The sanctuary is best known for its beautiful stained glass windows depicting scenes from Brazil’s history and the religious expansion across the country, as well as showing the influence the protection of the Virgin Mary has had over Brazilians over the centuries. Also look out for the floating statue of St. Peter, by carioca sculptor Edgard Duvivier Sr., which can be seen just opposite the church in Botafogo bay.