Telephone (21) 2234 2094
Metrô São Francisco Xavier
São Francisco Xavier is one of the oldest buildings in the historic neighbourhood of Tijuca. The sanctuary was initially constructed by the Jesuits, commissioned in 1567 by then Governor-General of Brazil, Mem de Sá, to house a seminary that had been recently transferred to Rio. In 1795 it became the parish church for the region and was christened thus by Father José de Anchieta. During Rio’s colonial days, only nobles were buried within the Church’s walls, with slaves not afforded such privilege and buried behind the building, in the church grounds. A typical example of the colonial baroque style in Brazil, the church’s entrance, which is lined by rows of majestic palm trees, makes for a magnificent entry, setting it apart from the many other churches in the city.