Telephone (21) 2240 4944
Built in 1948, this internationally-renowned museum was restocked after a fire in 1978 and currently has a permanent collection of some 15,000 works and a permanent exhibition of Brazilian Modernism. The archives hold pieces by such luminaries as Henry Moore, Alberto Giacometti, Poliakov and Bourdelle, and there are regular music shows, a design shop and café all on site too. Gilberto Chateaubriand's permanent collection on the top floor is always worth a browse, too.
30 Jul 2013.