They may have never won the big prize, but the constant battle between relegation from the top group and promotion from the Grupo de Acesso has brought its own brand of excitement to São Clemente in recent years. Not afraid to court controversy with their themes, issues such as Rio's violent reputation and children sleeping rough on the streets have brought a refreshing and thought-provoking dash of satire and social conscience to a party more often linked with organised crime and extravagance. Their exploration of the Horário Nobre, then, is likely to take a sideways glance at Brazil's broadcasting phenomenon - the 7-11pm television slot famous for its soap opera dramas. São Clemente, Avenida Presidente Vargas 3102, Centro. Rehearsals Tuesdays 8pm & Sundays 10pm.
- Founded - 1961
- Titles - none
- Colours - Yellow and black
- Theme - 'Horário Nobre' and television broadcasting
- Queen - Bruna Almeida
- Last won - Never (11th last year)
- Fact - In 2008, model Viviane Castro’s 3.5cm-long ‘underwear’ fell off halfway through the parade, and the resulting display of flesh cost the school valuable points and ultimately their place in the Grupo Especial until they were promoted again in 2010.
- Chances 500-1 (rank outsider)
- Read our full guide to Rio Carnival 2013