Entrance gate to the Amazon River and a busy port hub, the sights, sounds and flavours of the centuries-old city of Belém do Pará are celebrated in Imperatriz's theme in 2013. Renowned for their technicality, The São Cristóvão-based school's performances have, in the past, been criticised for being too methodical and directed to the judges rather than the public, but being the only school to score maximum points on all counts on three separate occasions (in 1980, 1989 and 2001), that's unlikely to bother the organizers too much. Imperatriz, Rua Professor Lacê 235, Ramos. Rehearsals Sundays 8pm.
- Founded - 1959
- Titles - 8
- Colours - Green, white and gold
- Theme - Belém do Pará
- Queen - Cris Viana
- Last won - 2001 (10th last year)
- Fact - Shortly after their disappointing showing at Carnival 2012, Imperatriz parted company with their Queen Luiza Brenet, who led the line since 1995. The school claimed that she was getting complacent and not showing up regularly enough for rehearsals, an argument possibly reflected in their 10th position and near-relegation.
- Chances - 125/1 (failing to impress)
- Read our full guide to Rio Carnival 2013