Rising out of the blocos of Morro do Borel and its surrounding communities, Unidos da Tijuca has had something of a resurgence under the command of Paulo Barros, who in 2010 brought its first title in years and followed it up with a victory in 2012. The 2013 theme sees a homage to Germany as part of a year of close collaboration in the arts, sciences and politics between the two countries. Unidos da Tijuca, Clube dos Portuários, Avenida Francisco Bicalho 47, São Cristóvão. Rehearsals Fridays and Saturdays 8pm.
- Founded - 1931
- Titles - 3
- Colours - Blue and yellow
- Theme - The year of Germany in Brazil
- Queen - Juliana Alves
- Last won - 2012
- Fact - 2010’s win was Unidos' first top-flight title since 1936, just five years after forming. With tw wins and a second place in the last three years, the school has become a serious challenger to Beija-Flor's recent domination, and how Barros treats the tricky German theme this year will be key to how well they fare given the popularity of 2012's subject matter, folklore hero Luiz Gonzaga.
- Chances 8-1 (joint favourites but the theme could be their undoing)
- Read our full guide to Rio Carnival 2013