One of the oldest of all the samba schools and hailing from the historically-important hill of the same name, Mangueira have won no fewer than 17 titles including the first ever to be awarded at the Sambódromo following its inauguration in 1984. Undoubtedly the most popular of all the schools, it nevertheless continues to struggle to fill the void left by Jamelão, a figurehead in the world of samba who appeared in every Carnival from 1949-2006 before his sad death in 2008. Mangueira, Rua Visconde de Niteroí 1072, Mangueira. Rehearsals Saturdays 10pm.
- Founded - 1928
- Titles - 17
- Colours - Green and pink
- Theme - Cuiabá
- Queen - Gracyanne Barbosa
- Last won - 2002 (7th last year)
- Fact - In 2007, Mangueira's queen posed on the cover of Brazilian playboy, joining a celebrated list of Carnival faces to de-robe in the run up to the big event in the hunt for publicity, including Renata Santos and TV presenter Sabrina Sato.
- Chances - 50/1 (the popular choice, but well off the pace last year)
- Read our full guide to Rio Carnival 2013