Telephone (11) 3326 1373
Frei Galvão, the first Brazilian to be canonised (in 2007), founded this monastery in 1774. The museum houses a fantastic collection of over 4,000 pieces of art, of which about 800 are on display. Most of the sculptures are made of clay and wood. A special room exhibits Nossa Senhora da Luz, a painting brought from Portugal in 1603 that gave its name to the neighbourhood. A separate wing houses a folk art tour of nativity scenes from around the world, and Brazil's own signature nativity scene by Mestre Vitalino, one of the most important Brazilian figurine sculptors.
11 Jul 2012.